Actinic Keratosis (Grade 1 or 2) of the face may be bothering you, and making you wish there were a way to deal with it. Those small and noticeable red, brown or skin colored patches that don’t go away can wreck your day. It may be time for you to explore the Levulan Kerastick for Topical Solution plus blue light illumination.
This system, geared toward the treatment of minimally to moderately thick actinic keratoses (Grade 1 or 2) of the face is a decision you will make with your skin care professional at El Paso Cosmetic Surgery.
Certain people should not take Levulan:
- Patients who have cutaneous photosensitivity at wavelengths at 400-450 nm, porphyria, or known allergies to porphyrins, and patients with known sensitivity to any of the components of the Levulan Kerastick for Topical Solution.
- Patients with inherited or acquired coagulation defects.
While there were no drug-specific interactions noted during any of the controlled clinical trials of this product, there have been no formal studies of the interaction of Levulan Kerastick for Topical Solution with any other drugs. Because it is possible that concomitant use of other known photosensitizing agents might increase the photosensitivity reaction of actinic keratoses treated with the Levulan Kerastick, you and your doctor will thoroughly explore if this is the right treatment for you.
Other important information we will want to know:
- If you are taking any oral medications or use of any topical prescription or non-prescription products on your face or scalp
- If you are pregnant or nursing
Side effects can include:
- Scaling/crusting, hypo/hyper-pigmentation, itching, stinging, and/or burning, erythema and edemas
- Severe stinging and/or burning at one or more lesions. This was reported by at least 50% of patients at some time during the treatment.
Also important to remember:
- Avoid exposure of the photosensitive treatment sites to sunlight or bright indoor light prior to and at least 48 hours after blue light treatment.
If you are interested in scheduling a Levulan Kerastick consultation please call 915-351-1116 or fill out the form on this page.