Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery
Cosmetic eyelid surgery, technically called blepharoplasty, serves the purpose of improving the appearance of upper eyelids, lower eyelids or both. The procedure gives a rejuvenated appearance to the surrounding area of your eyes, making you look more rested and alert.
Good candidates for cosmetic eyelid surgery are:
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for blepharoplasty
- Individuals without serious eye conditions
You must tell your doctor if you have any of these medical conditions:
- Eye disease such as glaucoma, dry eye or a detached retina
- Thyroid disorders such as Graves’ disease and under or overactive thyroid
- Cardiovascular disease, high blood pressure or other circulatory disorders or diabetes
A blepharoplasty procedure is usually performed on adult men who have healthy facial tissue and muscles. It’s also important to have realistic goals for improvement of the upper and/or lower eyelids.
What Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery Can Do:
- Removes excess fatty deposits that appear as puffiness in the upper eyelids.
- Removes loose or sagging skin that creates folds or disturbs the natural contour of the upper eyelid, sometimes impairing vision.
- In the lower eyelid it can remove excess skin and fine wrinkles and correct droopiness.
- Bags under the eyes can be corrected.
Eyelid Surgery Recovery
After eyelid surgery at our West Texas practice, patients are generally able to go home the same day, and go back to normal activities within a few days. The surgery itself may temporarily decrease the sensation in the eyelid skin or it may cause some dryness or irritation to the eye. Though the incisions heal in a few days, swelling and bruising may take a few weeks to completely disappear. It is important not to take medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen for two weeks before the surgery because of the potential increase in bleeding.
If you are interested in scheduling a eyelid surgery consultation please call 915-351-1116 or fill out the form on this page.