Fat Injections/Fat Grafting
At El Paso Cosmetic Surgery, we also use fat injections as a soft tissue filler to treat facial wrinkles and enhance the lips, and as a supplement for many surgical procedures including face lift.
Body fat makes an excellent soft tissue filler for several reasons.
- Body fat is natural and non-allergenic.
- The effects of body fat injections last from several months to indefinitely.
- There is little or no recovery period or downtime after treatment.
Usually performed in an office setting, fat injections can be used:
- To fill in deep wrinkles like frown lines and nasolabial folds
- To give fullness to augment lips
- As a rejuvenation tool that replaces age-induced face tissue loss.
Treatment involves obtaining fat through the use of liposuction from one part of the body, such as the abdomen, buttocks, or thighs, and injecting it in another. The extracted fat is washed, the blood is separated from the fat, and the fat is placed in a syringe and injected into the targeted area.
Two or three sessions of fat injection can usually accomplish the desired fullness, and since about 50 percent of the fat remains after each session, results are long lasting.
Whatever your desire for fat injections or fat grafting, be it the face, lips, hands buttocks, breasts or anywhere you need to fill a deficient area, you can count on Dr. Ozan Sozer at El Paso Cosmetic Surgery to provide the long-lasting, and natural-appearing results that you seek.
The first consideration for the procedure will be your overall health. Working with Dr. Ozan Sozer your health history will be evaluated to help you reach your goals safely.
The type of fat used in the process is important. Unlike fillers from animals or cadavers which can cause problems, the fat is harvested from your body, using a special sterile suction cannula technique. Fat is one of most well-tolerated fillers available to aesthetic surgeons, and thus has broad applications. It is natural-appearing, lasts a long time, and is safe.
- Once enough fat is obtained from the donor area, it is then purified. This often requires the use of a centrifuge which spins the fat and removes impurities. The fat is then placed into the areas requiring augmentation. The injection needle is usually passed in and out of the areas to be augmented multiple times. This creates a ‘grid’ of threads of fat graft. The areas that were injected may then be massaged by the plastic surgeon to create a satisfactory contour. A dressing may then be placed.
What to Expect After the Procedure:
- Dressings may be placed on the injected areas. These dressings may include the use of tapes or compressive-type dressings.
- Dr. Sozer may request that you don’t sit or lie on injected areas for a prescribed period and give you instructions regarding a massage program after the procedure.
- Swelling and bruising usually resolve within 2 to 3 weeks.
You can rely on the skilled plastic surgeon Ozan Sozer of El Paso Cosmetic Surgery to guide you to your desired outcome with fat injection/fat grafting.
If you are interested in scheduling a fat grafting consultation call us at 915-351-1116 or fill out the form on this page today!